UPDATE 7:00 p.m.: VDOT has confirmed that the earlier tractor-trailer fire on I-81 south at mile marker 129 has been cleared and traffic is moving normally around this area.
UPDATE 6:15 p.m.: Backups are still being reported behind the tractor-trailer fire on I-81 in Montgomery County, though improvements are being made.
Currently, VDOT says backups have reduced to three miles behind the incident at mile marker 129 on I-81 south.
UPDATE 5:15 p.m.: Additional backups behind a tractor-trailer fire have continued to develop.
VDOT says that backups are now approximately six miles behind this incident.
UPDATE 4:40 p.m.: Backups continue to mount behind a tractor-trailer fire on I-81 south in Montgomery County.
According to VDOT, backups are now reported to be approximately four miles.
The tractor-trailer fire is located at mile marker 129.
Drivers should continue to find an alternate route around this incident.
UPDATE 4:05 p.m.: VDOT reports that backups are now approximately two miles behind a tractor-trailer fire on I-81 south in Montgomery County at mile marker 129.
MONTGOMERY COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) – A tractor-trailer fire has closed down the southbound lanes of I-81 in Montgomery County.
VDOT says the incident is located at mile marker 129 and all southbound lanes have been shut down.
Backups are reported to be approximately one mile.
Drivers should find an alternate route around this incident.
- Lynchburg elementary school cancels in-person classes for the week following Friday morning fire
- Driver hospitalized after Pittsylvania County ‘road rage shooting,’ Blairs fire officials say
- Schools around southwest Virginia announce delays, closures, remote learning amid Tuesday’s cold and windy weather
- Covington TAP office celebrates grand opening of new ‘Clothing Closet’ to dress those in need for free
- Brightly burning meteor seen across wide areas of Japan