Bomb techs disable suspected explosives found at Roanoke County apartment

Local News

ROANOKE COUNTY, Va. (WFXR News) – The suspected explosives found Monday afternoon at an apartment complex in Roanoke County no longer pose a threat.

Roanoke County Police say the devices were found in what appeared to be an abandon personal home safe left on the property.

Around 2:45 p.m. maintenance staff at The Villages of Garst Creek found the safe and took it to their maintenance shed. They were able to cut inside of it and called police.

Police believed there was no safety concerns to the but evacuated three buildings around the safe as a precaution.

Virginia State Police bomb techs arrived and took an X-Ray of the safe.

What was orginially thought to be three sticks of dynamite and two improvised explosive devices is now believed to be the makings of something dangerous.

Roanoke County police say it appears the safe had been there for some time, and inside they found what looks like the beginnings of someone possibly trying to build an explosive device.

“It appears to be some other explosive that they obtain from another location. Possibly from like going to get fireworks and things of that nature, where most people get explosives. And then using that to create this device,” said Commander Raymond Torres.

The bomb techs were able to disarm part of the device with what they called a pan shot.

Then they took all the materials that were dangerous to the public to be disposed of and the rest will be taken in as evidence.

“It’s scary. You don’t expect that to happen here. And who knows who did it and why,” said Terry Newcomb who lives in the apartment above the maintenance shed.

“I’m really thankful they found that and disabled it. If maintenance hasn’t had found that then they could have just left it in their office and it could have been disastrous.”

Although there were Virginia State Police bomb techs there and representatives from the ATF, Roanoke County Police are leading this investigation to try and get to the bottom of who’s responsible for this.

“We are going to continue to investigate significantly until we can identify, hopefully we can identify a suspect,” said Commander Torres.

Commander Torres says they will work with the Commonwealth’s Attorney’s office to figure out what charges are possible for the person responsible.

Latest Stories

Get breaking news, weather, and sports delivered to your smartphone with the WFXR News app available on Apple and Android.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

News tips

Do you have a news tip or breaking news to share with WFXR?  Submit your tip here.

Latest News

More News

News Tip Form