UPDATE 9:20 p.m.: All lanes of traffic have reopened around mile marker 57 of I-81 in Wythe County; however, left northbound lane at mile marker 57 will be shut down for further cleanup.
Crews did not give a specific time-frame when that closure may be or how long it would be active.
UPDATE 8:10 p.m.: VDOT reports that backups along northbound I-81 around mile marker 57 are down to approximately three miles.
Southbound traffic backups are no longer an issue, according to VDOT.
WYTHE COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) – Virginia State Police responded to a multi-vehicle crash on I-81 Friday afternoon in Wythe County.
Police say a box truck was traveling south on I-81 when it ran off the left side of the interstate, crossed through the median and entered the northbound lanes.
The box truck then struck a passenger car and two tractor-trailers in the northbound lanes. One of the tractor-trailers ran off the left side of the road and into the median.
State Police confirm one fatality.
VDOT reports backups around the crash are around four miles in the northbound lanes and around six miles in the southbound lanes.
Drivers approaching the backups should be prepared to find an alternate route around the crash.
Virginia State Police continue to investigate the crash.
- Danville drivers asked to avoid section of Piney Forest Road after crash
- 1.2 million seek jobless aid after $600 federal check ends
- Montgomery County motorists delayed on I-81 North following tractor-trailer crash
- Los Angeles mayor OKs shutting off water, power to combat house parties and other gatherings
- Report: Twitter bans Trump campaign from tweeting over COVID misinformation