PITTSYLVANIA COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) – Virginia State Police is investigating a crash involving a single vehicle that resulted in a fatality.
The crash occurred on Sunday, July 26 shortly before 7:30 p.m. on East Gretna Road, one-tenth of a mile west of Hermosa Road in Pittsylvania County.
Police say a 2016 Kia Sol was traveling west on East Gretna Road when the vehicle struck a horse-drawn carriage in the rear that was also traveling west on East Gretna Road.
The carriage was operated by Moses S. Swarey, 21, of Gretna. There were two passengers in the carriage, one of whom, Joseph S. Swarey, 19, of Gretna died at the scene.
Moses Swarey and the other passenger, Susie S. Swarey, 18, of Greta, were both transported to an area hospital for injuries sustained in the crash.
Ronald L. King, 68, of Gretna was the driver of the Kia. He was wearing his seatbelt and was also transported for injuries sustained in the crash.
Charges are pending and the crash remains under investigation.
- Local experts weigh in on SCOTUS vacancy
- Staff member at Central Elementary School tests positive for COVID-19 in Rockbridge County
- Engineers are using lasers to test new Outer Banks bridge
- Protesters call on Sen. Lindsey Graham to stop confirmation of SCOTUS nominee
- Sens. Warner, Kaine announce over $13.6M in funding for rail infrastructure improvement on rail line between Clifton Forge, Charlottesville