Two displaced after malfunctioning motor sparks house fire in Danville

Southside Virginia News

(Photo: Courtesy MGN Online/PxHere)

DANVILLE, Va. (WFXR) — Fire officials say that two Danville residents are displaced after a malfunctioning motor led to a Monday night house fire.

According to the Danville Fire Department, crews were dispatched to a report of a structure fire at 138 College Avenue at approximately 10:38 p.m. on Monday, Sept. 13.

When units arrived at the scene, they found a two-story residence “heavily charged with smoke,” the department says.

Family members reportedly told fire personnel that everyone was out of the house and that the fire was in a second-floor bathroom. After crews went in the house and up the stairs, they found a fire in a bathroom that extended into the attic. However, first responders managed to extinguish the fire and contain the extension of flames to a small place in the attic.

There are no reports of injuries resulting from this fire. In addition, the two adults who were displaced are staying with family, according to fire officials.

The department says fire personnel — who received assistance from the Danville Life Saving Crew and Danville Utilities — were on scene for about an hour and a half.

The fire marshals’ office determined the cause of the fire to be a malfunctioning electric motor.

For breaking news delivered to you, subscribe to WFXR’s breaking news email list

Get breaking news, weather, and sports delivered to your smartphone with the WFXR News app available on Apple and Android.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest News

More News

News Tip Form