Storage building fire causes $180,000 in damages for Blue Ridge Fiberboard in Danville

Southside Virginia News
(Photo: Courtesy MGN)

(Photo: Courtesy MGN)

DANVILLE, Va. (WFXR) — A Sunday morning fire led to extensive damages at an outside storage area for Blue Ridge Fiberboard in Danville, marking the second fire at a company building in a week.

The Danville Fire Department says crews responded to a fire at 250 Celotex Drive at 3:25 a.m. on Sunday, Oct. 24. When units arrived, an outside storage area — which was filled with finished fiber board — was on fire.

Crews worked for three and a half hours getting the fire under control. After personnel extinguished the major fire, they worked with plant workers to separate the product and put out any small fires, according to the department.

The building belongs to Blue Ridge Fiberboard, which lost an estimated $180,000 worth of property, according to the department.

Fire officials say they determined that the cause of the blaze was from heat buildup from the processing procedure.

This news comes after crews were called out to 250 Celetex Drive at 2:30 a.m. on Sunday, Oct. 17 and found flames coming from a medium-sized building — as well as the building’s electrical equipment — at the Blue Ridge Fiberboard complex.

Fire officials determined the cause of the Oct. 17 was a mechanical failure at or outside the boiler.

For breaking news delivered to you, subscribe to WFXR’s breaking news email list

Get breaking news, weather, and sports delivered to your smartphone with the WFXR News app available on Apple and Android.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest News

More News

News Tip Form