Saturday morning house fire in Danville said to be caused by candles

Southside Virginia News

(Image: Courtesy MGN Online)

DANVILLE, Va. (WFXR) – One person was treated for smoke inhalation after a Saturday morning house fire broke out in Danville.

According to the Danville Fire Department, crews responded to 838 Hughes Street Saturday morning shortly before 5:15 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 18. When they arrived, they found a medium one-story home with fire extending from the rear of the house.

Personnel quickly began to attack the fire inside of the home while another crew entered the home to search for additional fire and for the occupants, all of whom were found safely outside.

The department says the fire was knocked down at 6:21 a.m. and was said to be under control at 7:11 a.m.

According to fire officials, the bedroom sustained heavy fire, smoke, heat, and water damage while the rest of the home sustained heat and smoke damage.

One of the occupants of the home was treated and released for smoke inhalation. The family is being assisted by the American Red Cross.

The cause of the fire was investigated by the on-scene officers and has been determined to be the result of “careless handling of candles,” said Acting Battalion Chief Ken Jones of the Danville Fire Department.

For breaking news delivered to you, subscribe to WFXR’s breaking news email list

Get breaking news, weather, and sports delivered to your smartphone with the WFXR News app available on Apple and Android.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest News

More News

News Tip Form