DANVILLE, Va. (WFXR) – One person was injured during a Tuesday afternoon fire that caused some damage to a home in Danville.

The Danville Fire Department says crews responded to 1215 Washington Street at 4:20 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 5 for the report of a fire.

When units arrived at the scene, they found a medium one-story home with smoke extending from the back of the home.

According to the department, the occupant was found outside of the home as crews arrived and told them nobody else was inside. That person was treated at the scene and transferred to Sovah Health with second-degree burns.

Fire officials say the fire caused minimal smoke, fire, heat, and water damage to the kitchen.

The cause of the fire was determined to be unattended cooking, which, the department says, is the number one cause of fires in homes. Residents are urged to always stay in the kitchen while actively cooking.

For breaking news delivered to you, subscribe to WFXR’s breaking news email list