UPDATE: Martinsville crews expected to spend Tuesday working on fire at Southern Finishing Company

Southside Virginia News

UPDATE 9:20 a.m.: Martinsville Fire Chief Ted Anderson shared more information about Tuesday morning’s fire at Southern Finishing Company during an interview with WFXR News’ Hazelmarie Anderson.

According to the fire chief, crews were notified at approximately 3:30 a.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 21 about flames coming out of the roof at Southern Finishing Company on Church Street. Fire officials then confirmed there was fire coming out of the facility’s roof near the storage hopper area for the sawdust bin.

Anderson says units had to conduct a defensive attack in order to knock out the initial flames.

Anderson told WFXR News that crews will spend the rest of the day working on the fire — which has been contained to the sawdust bin — because sawdust is explosive. As a result, first responders are trying to empty the bin while also preventing air from getting inside the bin in order to keep the fire from spreading and avoid any explosions.

According to Anderson, people are still able to work at the Southern Finishing Company, but they need to avoid the area of the bin.

There are no reports of injuries resulting from this fire.

Meanwhile, due to Martinsville-EMS being short-staffed, Henry County Public Safety personnel are also working the scene, Anderson says.


MARTINSVILLE, Va. (WFXR) — Crews are currently at the scene of a fire at a furniture manufacturing company in Martinsville Tuesday morning.

According to Martinsville Fire-EMS, the call came in about flames at Southern Finishing Company on Church Street around 3:30 a.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 21.

The fire reportedly started in a dust bin.

As of this writing, the fire is contained to the dust bins and there are no reports of injuries, fire officials say.

However, crews are expected to remain at the scene well into Tuesday morning.

Fire Chief Ted Anderson told WFXR News that crews are currently dumping dust out of the bins and soaking the sawdust to prevent the fire from spreading.

Anderson says nobody was inside the facility when the fire broke out, but there was a security guard on the scene at the time.

Due to a shortage of staff, Martinsville Fire-EMS has called in volunteer firefighters and county units to assist, according to Anderson.

This is a developing story.

For breaking news delivered to you, subscribe to WFXR’s breaking news email list

Get breaking news, weather, and sports delivered to your smartphone with the WFXR News app available on Apple and Android.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest News

More News

News Tip Form