DRAKES BRANCH, Va. (WFXR) — Members of a Charlotte County fire department were dispatched early Friday morning to a fire that destroyed the home of one of their lifetime members and sent him to the hospital.
According to Drakes Branch Fire and Rescue, crews were dispatched in the early morning hours on Friday, April 15 to a fire at the home of Floyd Napier, one of the department’s lifetime members.
The department says it was even worse not knowing whether he was out of the house at the time.
However, when firefighters arrived, they say they found Napier outside, but the structure was already fully involved in flames. First responders reportedly moved him to safety and called for rescue to have him checked.
Fire officials announced later on Friday that Napier lost his home and most of his belongings.
In addition, the department says Napier was transferred to MCV for smoke inhalation on top of the health issues he already had.
“We have decided to open an account at Blue Ridge Bank in Drakes Branch under Drakes Branch Volunteer Fire Department in care of Floyd Napier,” Drakes Branch Fire and Rescue wrote on Facebook on Friday. “Please share and help one our own!!”