GALAX, Va. (WFXR) — A nursing and rehab facility in Galax had to be evacuated due to smoke on February 4th, injuring one.
The Galax Fire Department says they were dispatched at 12:17 a.m. for a structure fire in the St. Waddell Nursing and Rehab facility. When firefighters arrived they found smoke on the second floor and began evacuating the affected area. Residents were able to shelter in the Galax Public Library across the street or to shelter in place.
To find the source of the smoke firefighters opened both HVAC units on the roof and found a burned motor and wiring. They say the motor and wires were the cause of the smoke in the facility.
Responders helped the residents return to their rooms; one was taken to Twin County Regional Healthcare for minor injuries while evacuating.
The Galax Fire Department says 11 other agencies and 70 first responders assisted them at the scene.