Monday structure fire causes some damage at Western Sizzlin of Danville

Southside Virginia News

DANVILLE, Va. (WFXR) — Danville first responders spent Monday night at the Western Sizzlin of Danville after an electrical short sparked a fire.

According to the Danville Fire Department, crews arrived at 3211 Riverside Drive at 8:10 p.m. on Monday, Oct. 11 for a report of a structure fire, but found nothing showing from the single-story restaurant.

However, fire officials say personnel from the Piney Forest Road fire station entered the restaurant and found a small amount of smoke inside. The building was then evacuated and first responders began searching for the fire.

Units from the West Main Street fire station and the Lynn Street fire station reportedly found a small fire on the roof that had extended into the restaurant.

The department says personnel cut a hole into the roof to expose the fire, which was extinguished by 8:30 p.m. Crews then conducted overhaul both inside and outside the restaurant, bringing the fire under control shortly before 8:45 p.m.

According to fire officials, 16 fire personnel were on the scene for about 90 minutes, receiving assistance from the Danville Life Saving Crew, the Danville Electric Department, and the Danville Water and Gas Department.

There are no reports of injuries, but the restaurant did sustain some minor smoke and fire damage.

The department later announced that the cause of the fire was a shorted-out neon tube/sign.

For breaking news delivered to you, subscribe to WFXR’s breaking news email list

Get breaking news, weather, and sports delivered to your smartphone with the WFXR News app available on Apple and Android.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest News

More News

News Tip Form