Family displaced after Friday night apartment fire in Danville

Southside Virginia News

(Image: Courtesy MGN Online)

DANVILLE, Va. (WFXR) – Firefighters in Danville responded to a fire at an apartment building Friday evening that displaced a family.

According to the Danville Fire Department, the fire was reported at 8:30 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 5 at 441 Hermitage Drive.

When crews arrived at the scene, they found smoke coming from the second-floor windows of a two-story apartment building.

The residents had safely evacuated and were waiting outside by the time crews arrived, the department says.

Firefighters reportedly entered the building and found a small fire on the second floor, which was quickly extinguished.

According to officials, the fire was confined to a bedroom, but the apartment did suffer smoke damage.

No injuries were reported; however, the family living inside of that apartment has been displaced, the department says.

Crews determined that the cause of the fire was an overheated extension cord.

For breaking news delivered to you, subscribe to WFXR’s breaking news email list

Get breaking news, weather, and sports delivered to your smartphone with the WFXR News app available on [Apple] and [Android]

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest News

More News

News Tip Form