DANVILLE, Va. (WFXR) — Danville first responders issued a reminder about the dangers of unattended cooking after they spent part of Easter Sunday battling a kitchen fire.

The Danville Fire Department says crews were dispatched to a possible structure fire in the 1400 block of Myrtle Avenue shortly after 7 p.m. on Sunday, April 17.

The first unit to arrive on the scene reported seeing moderate smoke coming from the front door. After discovering a fire in the kitchen, personnel launched an aggressive interior attack, which quickly brought the fire under control.

The department says a total of 16 fire personnel were on scene for almost two hours, receiving assistance from the Danville Life Saving Crew, the Danville Police Department, and City Utilities during the emergency.

According to fire officials, the blaze caused moderate damage in the kitchen, as well as smoke damage throughout the rest of the home.  

Meanwhile, the American Red Cross is reportedly helping the four displaced residents with temporary living arrangements.  

“The Danville Fire Department would like to remind you to please never leave your cooking stove in use unattended, as kitchen fires are the leading cause of fires in homes,” the department said in a statement.