Danville first responders extinguish third fire at Blue Ridge Fiberboard in two weeks

Southside Virginia News
db3d880a-6170-4036-b525-cfcd0b5b1332-large16x9_firetruckandfire_1554286624682.jpg

DANVILLE, Va. (WFXR) — For the third Sunday in a row, members of the Danville Fire Department battled a blaze at the Blue Ridge Fiberboard complex.

According to the department, crews responded to 250 Celotex Drive for a large fire outside one of Blue Ridge Fiberboard’s buildings on Sunday, Oct. 31. When personnel arrived at approximately 1:50 p.m., they found smoke and flames coming from multiple stacks of building materials, some of which were next to a building.

Fire officials say some of Blue Ridge Fiberboard’s employees were already fighting the fire when the first responders arrived.

Firefighters reportedly worked to control the fire and prevent it from the extending to the building, even using foam to soak the fiberboard.

As the fire was controlled, the department says Blue Ridge Fiberboard employees used forklifts to move the individual fiberboard stacks to a different area to keep the flames from spreading.

According to fire officials, the blaze was caused by built-up heat from the manufacturing process. There is no word on the extent of the damage resulting from this fire.

A total of 19 personnel from the Danville Fire Department stayed at the scene for approximately 3.5 hours, receiving assistance from the Danville Life Saving Crew. Officials say Blue Ridge Fiberboard employees were set to remain on scene through Sunday night to monitor the situation. 

This news comes after crews were called out to 250 Celetex Drive at 2:30 a.m. on Sunday. Oct. 17 and found flames coming from a medium-sized building — as well as the building’s electrical equipment — at the Blue Ridge Fiberboard complex. The cause of that fire was determined to be a mechanical failure at or outside a boiler.

Then, Danville firefighters responded to the company’s complex at 3:25 a.m. on Sunday, Oct. 24 because an outside storage area, which was filled with finished fiberboard, was on fire. Fire officials say the cause of that blaze was heat buildup from the processing procedure.

For breaking news delivered to you, subscribe to WFXR’s breaking news email list

Get breaking news, weather, and sports delivered to your smartphone with the WFXR News app available on [Apple] and [Android]

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest News

More News

News Tip Form