DANVILLE, Va. (WFXR) — Fire officials say unattended cooking led to a late night apartment fire in Danville on Wednesday.
The Danville Fire Department says crews were dispatched to a report of an apartment fire at 110-G North Hills Court shortly after 11 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 28. When units arrived four minutes later, they reportedly found a three-story apartment building with heavy smoke showing from the first floor.
Crews found fire in the kitchen area as they entered the building, but the fire was quickly controlled and — although two other apartments had light smoke in them — the department says there was no fire extension into any other apartments.
Fire officials say the personnel searching the fire apartment rescued the family cat and brought it out to the occupants. There are no reports of injuries resulting from the fire.
According to the department, 17 personnel remained on scene for nearly two-and-a-half hours. In addition, firefighters received assistance from the Danville Life Saving Crew, the Danville Police Department, Water and Gas, Power and Light, and maintenance from the apartment complex.
An investigation by the Fire Marshal’s Office confirmed the fire was started by unattended cooking. Since fire officials say the apartment is not livable until repairs can be made, the occupants made arrangements to stay somewhere else.
Meanwhile, the department says the other five apartments in the building are still livable and were opened back up to the occupants.
“The DFD reminds everyone that unattended cooking is the number one cause of fires in Danville and across the country,” said the Danville Fire Department in a statement on Thursday, Oct. 29. “Stay in the kitchen while cooking. Smoke alarms were working in the apartment.”
- Virginia health officials report 2,023 new coronavirus cases, 34 new deaths as of Thursday
- Obama, Bush, Clinton volunteer to receive coronavirus vaccine on camera
- Franklin County crash closes down VA-40, leads to detours
- North Carolina organization buys hotel to house homeless
- Virginia ABC awards grant to Franklin County teens in support of youth leadership efforts to prevent substance use