Two pets dead following Friday evening house fire in Danville

Southside Virginia News

(Photo: Courtesy MGN Online/PxHere)

DANVILLE, Va. (WFXR) — Two family pets are dead after a fire broke out at a Danville house Friday evening, impacting five residents.

The Danville Fire Department says a call came in shortly after 7 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 27 about a possible house fire at 126 Ruskin Street. When personnel from the Piney Forest Road station arrived at the scene, they found a two-story house with heavy smoke and flames coming from the back.

The homeowner told the crew that everyone was accounted for and made it out of the house safely, according to the department.

When units entered the home, they extinguished the fire in the back laundry room, spending just under three hours operating at the scene.

The investigation by the Fire Marshal’s Office determined the fire started in the dryer vent.

Meanwhile, fire officials say five residents are receiving assistance from the local Red Cross. However, the family’s cat and dog were found dead in the home by first responders.

The Danville Fire Department issued a reminder to residents to test your smoke alarms on a monthly basis, as well as clean your dryer vents regularly.

For breaking news delivered to you, subscribe to WFXR’s breaking news email list

Get breaking news, weather, and sports delivered to your smartphone with the WFXR News app available on Apple and Android.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest News

More News

News Tip Form