HENRY COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) — Virginia State Police are investigating two crashes that occurred in Henry County early Thursday morning that left one person dead and another injured.
Police responded to the incident in the 2500 block of Greensboro Road around 1:44 a.m. on Thursday, Nov. 5. The initial investigation shows a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu and a 2009 Pontiac were racing in the northbound lanes when the Pontiac ran off the right side of the road, struck a telephone pole, and overturned several times.
Following the initial crash, the Malibu ran off the left side of the road, crossed the median, traveled through the southbound lanes, struck an embankment, and overturned. The two vehicles did not come in contact with each other.
The driver of the Pontiac, 22-year-old Shamon D. Massey of Martinsville, died at the scene.
Meanwhile, driver of the Malibu, 27-year-old Latoshia E. Hairston of Martinsville, was treated for non-life-threatening injuries. Hairston was charged with reckless driving. Additional charges are pending.
According to Virginia State Police, two passengers in the Malibu fled the scene.
The crash remains under investigation.
- Beebe amends for fumble with TD as Vikes top Panthers 28-27
- Virginia Tech tops S. Florida 76-58, wraps at Bubbleville
- 18 foot Star City Snowman gives holiday cheer
- Buchanan honors fallen first responders across America with a Fallen Heroes Tree
- Liberty Falls to TCU in Hall of Fame Classic Championship