HENRY COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) — After leading authorities from both Virginia and North Carolina on a manhunt, a Patrick County man is in custody and facing charges in connection with a Saturday morning shooting.
According to the Rockingham County Sheriff’s Office, deputies responded to Parkview Mart in Eden, North Carolina on Saturday, May 23 after a woman called to report a shooting. When deputies arrived, 26-year-old Kendra Danielle Cabiness reportedly told them she drove herself to the store after a Virginia man shot her in the leg at 123 Ward Road in Eden then ran away.
First responders airlifted Cabiness to a Triad area hospital for non-life-threatening injuries, authorities say.
North Carolina authorities say the manhunt for the Virginia man started at approximately 10:30 a.m. on Saturday. However, officials say the Henry County Sheriff’s Office took 30-year-old Justin Antonio Hatcher of Stuart into custody by approximately noon on Saturday, shortly after he crossed the state line.
Hatcher is being held in the Henry County Jail and charged with “Assault with a Deadly Weapon with Intent to Kill Inflicting Serious Injury” in connection with the Eden shooting, according to Saturday’s news release from the Rockingham County Sheriff’s Office.
- Iraq AUMF repeal gains momentum in Senate
- ‘I couldn’t be more proud’: Family watches Ryan Crouser win gold
- Democrat and Republican senators pile on the pressure to declassify 9/11 secrets
- Infrastructure bill a “shot in the arm” for rural high speed internet expansion
- Blood test could diagnose Alzheimer’s disease decades before symptoms develop, doctors say