UPDATE: Two arrested after another night of protests in Lynchburg

Local News

UPDATE 12:50 a.m: According to the Lynchburg Police Department, two people were arrested in connection to violent activity in the city over the last two nights.

The following is according to a press release from Lynchburg Police Department spokesperson Carrie Dungan:

Tonight’s protest began with peaceful activity that devolved into disorderly conduct and several reports of shots fired, including one incident where individuals directly shot at officers. More than 250 people participated in the protest on Park Avenue near Miller Park and started the evening with a peaceful gathering. Eventually, several shots were heard in the area and protesters began blocking traffic along Park Avenue, which created safety and traffic hazards. As a result, one juvenile was injured and transported to Lynchburg General Hospital after he fell off of a vehicle he was riding on top of into the street. The LPD is not aware of any injuries from the shots fired tonight. 

The LPD supports the right of our community to peacefully protest and we appreciate the many individuals in our city who are striving for these peaceful protests. We will continue to take action against those who threaten the safety of our community by turning these protests violent through shooting and creating disorderly situations. 

Below are details of those arrested in connection with the violent activity over the past two nights. 

Carrie Dungan, Lynchburg Police Department spokesperson

Tykeim Michael Hurt, 20, of Lynchburg, was taken into custody and charged with three counts of felony property damage, one count of throwing a projectile into an occupied dwelling, and one count of unlawful assembly. These charges are in connection with unlawful activity at 5th and Federal Streets overnight last night. 

Bryant Lamont Kemper, 38, of Lynchburg, was taken into custody and charged with incitement of riot, unlawful assembly, concealed weapon, concealed carry of a firearm by a felon, and carrying a deadly weapon during a riot. These charges are in connection with unlawful activity at 5th and Federal Streets overnight last night and unlawful activity in the area of Miller Park tonight. 

As an update, Wendell Morris, 29, was the individual arrested at 12th and Church Streets on June 1, 2020. He is charged with threatening to bomb or burn a building and disorderly conduct. 

Additional charges on those who engaged in violent activity are pending. The LPD also is investigating reports of shots fired from the roof of Fifth and Federal restaurant last night and if we determine that shots were fired, we will file appropriate charges. 

This remains an ongoing investigation. Any additional information will be released as an update to this news release.

Carrie Dungan, Lynchburg Police Department spokesperson

UPDATE 12:30 a.m.: Protesters have dispersed and police are now leaving the scene of Monday night’s protest.

WFXR has reached out to a statement from the Lynchburg Police Department.

UPDATE 11:22 p.m.: The protesters in Lynchburg have started to disperse after police fired tear gas into the crowd.

WFXR’s Santiago Melli-Huber spoke with one of the protesters about the situation.

UPDATE 10:55 p.m.: Shots have been fired at Miller Park in Lynchburg. Authorities are telling people to avoid the area.

WFXR News will bring you more updates as more information comes in.

UPDATE 10:15 p.m.: Protests continue in Lynchburg Monday evening. There was an incident where a gun was fired into the air around 8:30 p.m. Around 10 p.m., tear gas was deployed on protesters. Otherwise, protests have been relatively peaceful for much of the day.

However, much of the protesting was peaceful.

Although the gunshots did cause protesters to scatter, things returned to normalcy fairly quickly and the protest resumed. One of the protesters, Kori, hoped everything would remain peaceful.

“No one is shooting, that’s a good sign. Hopefully, it stays that way, it stays peaceful,” said Kori, a protester. “That’s the whole name of the game is to stay peaceful. We don’t want trouble. Trouble just brings more trouble.”

Two people were arrested in Sunday’s protest. One of them, Brian Davis, was released from custody early Monday morning. He participated in the Monday protest as well

According to the Lynchburg Police Department, Brian Davis was charged with throwing a projectile missile at an occupied building and unlawful assembly.

However, Davis felt that the charges against him were unfair. He said he knew he was angry, but he felt like the message was not getting across.

For Monday’s protest, Davis said he wanted things to be peaceful so that law enforcement won’t have to get involved.

LYNCHBURG, Va. (WFXR) — Gunshots were heard in the Lynchburg area around 8:30 p.m., causing Black Lives Matter protesters to scatter.

According to witnesses, a disagreement occurred between some protesters and another group of people. At one point, someone pulled out a gun and fired into the air. The person then ran off.

Witnesses could not identify if the gun was fired by a protester or someone from the other group.

At this time, no one has been reported injured. Despite the gunshots, the protest resumed in Lynchburg.

WFXR News will continue to keep you updated as more information comes in.

Latest Stories

Get breaking news, weather, and sports delivered to your smartphone with the WFXR News app available on Apple and Android.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

News tips

Do you have a news tip or breaking news to share with WFXR?  Submit your tip here.

Latest News

More News

News Tip Form