BOTETOURT COUNTY, Va. (WFXR)– A Botetourt County Sheriff’s officer was fired upon while investigating a domestic disturbance early this morning at the 1600 block of Pico Road, according to authorities.
A call was received at 1:28 a.m. that threats of violence, involving a firearm, were made toward a citizen and law enforcement.
According to the incident report, the suspect fired at the deputy, with multiple bullets striking the patrol vehicle. The suspect fled the scene in a white Ford pickup truck, which was located at 1500 block of Davis Run.
The Botetourt County Sheriff’s Office Emergency Response team and the Virginia State Police tactical team responded to the situation. While conducting a search of the wooded area near the incident, the sheriff’s office found the body of an unresponsive 41-year-old male, who had suffered a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
The body has been transported to the Office of the Medical Examiner in Roanoke for an autopsy and identification.
The investigation remains ongoing.
- PHOTOS/VIDEO: Sunday flooding conditions lead to evacuations and swift water rescues in Henry, Botetourt, and Franklin counties
- Hundreds participate in birthday parade for 1-year-old Walmart shooting survivor
- Craig County cancels Demolition Derby event
- Families flock to Virginia Jellystone Park campgrounds for Memorial Day weekend
- Stanleytown Health and Rehab Center sees flooding after heavy rainfall