PITTSYLVANIA COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) — The victim in last week’s murder-suicide near Gretna told a sheriff’s deputy she was a hostage before she was shot in front of the deputy, search warrants reveal.
A Pittsylvania County Sheriff’s Office deputy was at the Dairy Queen in Gretna when Patrica Harris Towler, 43, told the deputy she was a hostage. Towler was in a vehicle when she spoke with the deputy.
“Upon saying that, a male in the vehicle produced a weapon and shot the female then shot himself,” the warrant said, adding that an infant was removed from the car and removed by other deputies on the scene. The man, Dane Clarke Towler, 50, and Patricia Towler both died at the scene.
A Smith & Wesson 357 revolver was found in the car, along with $125.
- Pittsylvania County Public Schools to start virtually on August 24
- Wythe County School Board approves plan to push start date for 2020-21 school year to September, move to 100% virtual learning through October
- Lynchburg Police Department to host first-ever virtual recruiting fair on Aug. 31
- Patient refuses hospitalization after Roanoke County first responders dispatched to report of allergic reaction along trail, officials say
- New drone technology will help monitor COVID-19 symptoms