BECKLEY, WV (WVNS) — Troopers with the West Virginia State Police arrested a man for trying to pay for sex a child. David Kemp, 36, of Rural Retreat, Virginia was arrested on Friday, Oct. 2, 2020. He is charged with Patronizing a Victim of Sex Trafficking.
The investigation began on Sept. 30 after Kemp responded to an advertisement where two children were being sold for sexual activities. He attempted to hook up with the child at an adult bookstore off Exit 28 of I-77 in Ghent, WV, but left the scene instead.
Law enforcement officers followed Kemp to Mercer County then pulled him over and arrested him. Investigators said he is a registered sex offender from Virginia. During questioning, Kemp claimed to be responding to the post in order to tell authorities.
Kemp is being held in the Southern Regional Jail. According to the jail website, his bond is $350,000.
- Firefighters in Forest respond to structure fire Saturday, aided by local children
- A conversation with Bob Good, the Republican vying for Virginia’s 5th Congressional District seat
- A conversation with Cameron Webb, the Democrat vying for Virginia’s 5th Congressional District seat
- Election 2020 FAQ: What identification do I need to take to my polling place?
- Days away: We’re counting down to daylight saving and extra sleep