SALEM, Va. (WFXR) — The Mountain Valley Cluster Dog Show has returned to the Salem Civic Center, allowing the Roanoke Valley community plenty of opportunities to watch dogs from across southwest Virginia — as well as their handlers — compete for top honors over the course of five days!
From Wednesday, Aug. 4 through Sunday, Aug. 8, the Salem Civic Center is hosting the free dog show from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. The event also features laser therapy treatments from the Animal Care Center of Salem, the All-Breed Dock Diving Event by North America Diving Dogs, and more.
The shows are scheduled at the civic center as follows:
- James River Kennel Club, Inc. on Wednesday, Aug. 4 and Thursday, Aug. 5
- Roanoke Kennel Club, Inc. on Friday, Aug. 6 and Saturday, Aug. 7
- New River Valley Kennel Club, Inc. on Sunday, Aug. 8
If you plan on attending the Mountain Valley Cluster Dog Show, the Salem Civic Center shared some guidance on dog show etiquette from the American Kennel Club:
- Always ask before you pet a dog because the handlers spend a lot of time grooming their dogs for the show.
- Wait until handlers have finished an event before asking questions. Before the show, handlers keep their focus on their dogs and gearing up for their turns in the ring.
- Turn off your cell phone so you don’t distract the dogs or the handlers.
- Stay away from ring entrances so you don’t block the handlers.
- Do not lean over the rings or talk to handlers while they are in the ring showing off their dogs.
- If you have small children with you, don’t let them run up to dogs or stick their fingers, hands, etc. into crates or exercise pens. Also, try to leave any strollers in the car because strollers can accidentally run over dogs’ tails, as well as place a child’s face at the same level as unfamiliar dogs’ faces.
- Be careful that you don’t step on any feet, noses, or tails.
- Keep food away from the ring so you don’t distract the dogs.
- Leave your own dog at home unless you’re taking them for a special reason.
Even if you’re not a huge dog person, the Salem Civic Center will also provide a lunch buffet from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. each day of the dog show in the Community Room.
This buffet is open to the public and costs $16.25 a person, so check out the menu for each day by clicking here.
For breaking news delivered to you, subscribe to WFXR’s breaking news email list