UPDATE: Vinton family displaced after unattended candle leads to house fire

Roanoke Valley News

(Photo: Courtesy Roanoke County Fire and Rescue Department Twitter)

UPDATE 9:25 p.m.: The Roanoke County Fire Marshal’s Office has finished investigating a house fire along Pedigo Lane that displaced a Vinton family Wednesday evening.

According to the Roanoke County Fire and Rescue Department, the cause of the fire was determined to be an unattended candle.

Damages are estimated to be approximately $35,000, officials say.

“We would like to remind everyone that December is the leading month of the year for candle related fires. Lit candles should never be left unattended,” the Roanoke County Fire and Rescue Department said in a statement to WFXR News. “Also, for the second time in less than a week, working smoking alarms have notified occupants of a fire and allowed them to escape unharmed in Roanoke County. Please make sure your home has working smoke alarms.”


ROANOKE COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) — A family of three will be staying with relatives after a fire Wednesday evening displaced them from their Vinton home.

At approximately 5:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 15, the Roanoke County Fire and Rescue Department says crews responded to a house fire in the 1100 block of Pedigo Lane in the Vinton area.

According to the department, the first units on the scene from the Vinton station found light smoke showing from the two-story, single-family home. However, the fire was brought under control in less than 15 minutes.

Officials say there was one adult and one teen inside the home at the time of the fire, but they escaped unharmed thanks to working smoke alarms.

There are no reports of injuries resulting from this fire.

The Roanoke County Fire Marshal’s Office is reportedly conducting an investigation to determine the cause of the fire and provide a damage estimate.

Copyright 2022 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest News

More News

News Tip Form