ROANOKE, Va. (WFXR) — Roanoke fire officials announced Friday morning that the two-alarm fire that resulted in the displacement of five residents from neighboring northeast Roanoke homes the day before was accidental.
Roanoke Fire-EMS says crews responded to a report of a fire in the 3300 block of Ridgerun Drive NE shortly before 2:45 a.m. on Thursday, Jan. 14.
When units arrived on scene, they found heavy smoke and flames showing from a residential structure.
According to the department, first responders at the scene updated it to a second alarm fire when they discovered the flames had spread to a neighboring home.
Even there are no reports of injuries, fire officials say five residents from the two separate homes will be displaced because of the fire. However, those displaced occupants will reportedly be staying with friends or family members in the area.
A Roanoke Fire-EMS representative told WFXR News that the family was able to make it out of a northeast Roanoke house amid an early morning fire thanks to their dogs and their smoke alarms.
On Friday, Jan. 15, the department announced the cause of the fire was deemed accidental, adding that it was electrical in nature.