UPDATE: Thursday night house fire in southwest Roanoke ruled accidental

Roanoke Valley News
(Photo: Courtesy Roanoke Fire-EMS)

(Photo: Courtesy Roanoke Fire-EMS)

ROANOKE, Va. (WFXR) — Fire officials have determined the cause and nature of the house fire that left three people displaced in southwest Roanoke Thursday night.

Roanoke Fire-EMS says crews were dispatched at 9:25 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 24, for a fire in the 2500 block of Memorial Avenue SW, and discovered a fire in the basement of a residential structure.

According to the department, all occupants were evacuated and accounted for when first responders arrived.

After crews initially knocked down the fire, they reportedly found the fire had spread through the structure’s walls.

Fire officials say three adults were displaced and receiving assistance from the American Red Cross as a result of the fire, but there are no reports of injuries.

In an update on Monday, Dec. 28, Roanoke Fire-EMS announced the cause of the fire was determined to be accidental and electrical in nature.

Latest Stories

Get breaking news, weather, and sports delivered to your smartphone with the WFXR News app available on Apple and Android.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

News tips

Do you have a news tip or breaking news to share with WFXR?  Submit your tip here.

Latest News

More News

News Tip Form