Two people displaced, two kittens rescued after cooking fire at northwest Roanoke home

Roanoke Valley News

(Photo: Courtesy Roanoke Fire-EMS)

ROANOKE, Va. (WFXR) — Two kittens were saved, but two people were displaced after a fire broke out at a northwest Roanoke resident Thursday afternoon.

Roanoke Fire-EMS says units were dispatched shortly after 2 p.m. on Thursday, April 8 to the 300 block of Hackley Ave NW for a fire. When crews arrived on scene, they found smoke coming from a multi-family residence.

Not only did first responders knock down the fire within six minutes of being dispatched, but the department says they also rescued two kittens.

While there are no reports of injuries, two residents are displaced and receiving assistance from the American Red Cross as a result of the fire.

According to fire officials, the cause of the fire was accidental and started because of unattended cooking.

Roanoke Fire-EMS reminds residents to stand by your pan, pot, griddle, or grill anytime you are cooking.

Get breaking news, weather, and sports delivered to your smartphone with the WFXR News app available on Apple and Android.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

News tips

Do you have a news tip or breaking news to share with WFXR?  Submit your tip here.

Latest News

More News

News Tip Form