ROANOKE, Va. (WFXR) — A gas leak in the Tanglewood Mall area caused a few Roanoke County businesses to close down Sunday evening.
At 5:50 p.m. on Sunday, May 23, Roanoke County Fire & Rescue units responded to the Kroger at Tanglewood Mall for a gas leak in the building that houses Kroger, Barnes & Noble, and Red Palace.
According to the Cave Spring Volunteer Fire Department, customers at Kroger reportedly smelled a strong gas odor at the front of the store. Upon further investigation, fire officials discovered the leak was coming from the Red Palace restaurant next door.
Officials say the building was evacuated and Roanoke Gas responded to secure the leak.
Just before 7 p.m., officials allowed Kroger and Barnes & Noble to reopen for the evening.
The leak has been secured and the building has been successfully ventilated, according to fire officials.