ROANOKE, Va. (WFXR) — Two days after a southeast Roanoke house fire sent one person to the hospital, officials announced the cause of the blaze was related to smoking materials.

Roanoke Fire-EMS says crews were dispatched to a report of smoke coming from a home in the 1000 block of Tazewell Avenue SE shortly after 5:45 p.m. on Wednesday, Aug. 17.

When units arrived at the scene, they found heavy smoke and flames, but they were able to get the fire under control quickly, according to officials.

The department tells WFXR News that one person was brought to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

Meanwhile, the American Red Cross is reportedly helping the person who was displaced from the home.

Then, on Friday, Aug. 19, officials announced that they determined the fire was caused by improperly discarded smoking materials, resulting in an estimated $33,000 worth of damages to the home and its contents.