SALEM, Va. (WFXR) — The Salem Fire and EMS Department responded to a structure fire at 1907 Millstream Drive Thursday evening.
Crews responded to the fire around 6:18 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 5. Two people were home at the time of the fire, but they escaped without injury.
The first units arrived within six minutes of receiving the call and found heavy smoke coming from the attic of the home. Firefighters located the source of the fire in the attic and brought it under control within thirty-five minutes.
Approximately 19 personnel from the Salem Fire & EMS Department (Truck 1, Engine 2, Engine 3, Medic 801, Medic 802, Medic 803, Battalion 1 & Fire Medic 1) responded to the call. Roanoke Fire & EMS Department (Engine 13 & Medic 7) assisted by covering additional responses, while crews were at the fire scene.
The fire was caused by a faulty bathroom exhaust fan and it has been ruled accidental by the Salem Fire Marshal’s Office. The house did sustain heavy water and smoke damage, but the fire was contained to the attic area.
The damage is estimated at $125,000 and the displaced residents are being assisted by family.
- Temporary closure of D Street Bridge begins Tuesday in Lynchburg
- Lynchburg elementary school cancels in-person classes for the week following Friday morning fire
- Driver hospitalized after Pittsylvania County ‘road rage shooting,’ Blairs fire officials say
- Schools around southwest Virginia announce delays, closures, remote learning amid Tuesday’s cold and windy weather
- Covington TAP office celebrates grand opening of new ‘Clothing Closet’ to dress those in need for free