ROCKY MOUNT, Va. (WFXR) — U.S. Sen. Tim Kaine (D-VA) said “thank you” on Saturday to the Virginia Army National Guard’s Rocky Mount Base 229th Chemical Company for the efforts they made during the pandemic, as well as protecting the Capitol earlier this year.
According to Kaine, more than 3,000 Virginia Guard men and women were sent to protect the nation’s capital, and 63 were from Rocky Mount National Guard’s 229th Chemical Company.
“They came up and in some cases weeks and months, and it just made me feel a real sense of gratitude,” said Kaine.
All these mission accomplishments allowed the 229th Chemical Company to be recognized with several awards:
- One Meritorious Service Medal
- Three Army Commendation Medals
- Seven Army Achievement Medals
- 42 Air Force Achievement Medals
- 10 Armed Forces Service Medals
- 10 Army Good Conduct Medals
- 88 Virginia Good Conduct Ribbons
- One 2 Star Coin
- Six 1030TH Battalion Commander Coin
- One 3/116TH Battalion Commander Coin
- Seven Capital Guardian’s Coins