ROCKBRIDGE COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) — Rockbridge County motorists should expect a temporary lane closure along I-81 South starting Wednesday night while crews work to repair a sinkhole in the median.
According to the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT), even though the sinkhole is located in the I-81 South median at mile marker 203.5, the southbound left lane will be closed from mile marker 204.5 to mile marker 202.5 so repair equipment can operate in the work zone.
VDOT says the lane closure will go into effect at 8 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 18. Work will reportedly continue through the night, but the left lane will stay closed until work is complete.
In addition, depending on the sinkhole’s size, shape, and location, officials say ongoing lane closures may be necessary.
VDOT says the sinkhole was discovered during routine maintenance work earlier in the fall, but crews have been monitoring the hole until they could make repairs.
According to VDOT, all work is weather permitting. In order to get traffic updates and other information on this and other projects, closures, and crashes around Virginia, you can either dial 511 or click here.
- Grayson County announces new policies as COVID-19 cases continue to increase
- Danville Public Schools announce positive COVID-19 case at Park Avenue Elementary
- Carroll County Superintendent announces change to all-virtual instruction beginning Dec. 9
- COVID-19 drive-thru testing event scheduled in Rockbridge County
- Here’s how much the ’12 Days of Christmas’ gifts would cost you in 2020