ROANOKE, Va. (WFXR) — During the first week of February, the Local Office on Aging in Roanoke is going to have several collection dates to gather food for its Soup for Seniors event, an annual food drive aimed at providing hot meals for the elderly during winter.
To accomplish this, the organization is searching for donations, as well as volunteers.
“Millions of Seniors in our nation live at or below the poverty line and need to know they haven’t been forgotten. Especially at a time like this, when seniors are more isolated form their friends and family than ever, food is needed.”Ron Boyd, Local Office on Aging’s President and CEO
Collection dates and locations are listed below:
- Saturday, Feb. 5 and Sunday, Feb. 6: Black Dog Salvage at 902 13th Street SW in Roanoke
- Those who stop by with a donation of at least $10 worth of food will receive a 10 percent coupon valid on any eligible purchase.
- Monday, Feb. 7 and Tuesday, Feb. 8: Church of St. Peter and St. Paul at 4909 North Lake Drive in Roanoke
Other drop-off sites open from Tuesday, Feb. 1 through Tuesday, Feb. 8 include:
- All First Bank locations (formerly Bank of Fincastle)
- Vistar Eye Center locations:
- 3320 Franklin Road in Roanoke
- 70 Summerfield Court in Roanoke
- 426 West Main Street in Salem
- Salem Public Library
- Vinton Public Library
The following non-perishable food items are needed:
|Soup||Canned vegetables||Cereal/Cereal bars|
|Crackers||Canned fruit||Carnation Instant Breakfast|
|Ramen noodles||Peanut butter and jelly||Ensure/Boost|
|Canned meats (tuna, chicken, Vienna sausages, etc.)||Oatmeal/Cream of Wheat|
For anyone who is unable to drop off items in-person, you can also donate monetarily, which can be done by clicking here or calling 540-345-0451.
Volunteers are also needed. If you are interested in volunteering, sign up for a shift by clicking here.