ROANOKE, Va. (WFXR) — Dr Pepper has a long history here in the Roanoke Valley, which is why the Star City is holding a celebration on Saturday to honor the newly designated “Dr Pepper Day.”
For many years, people in Roanoke drank more Dr Pepper per capita than any other place in the United States.
As a way to recognize the city’s fondness for the soft drink, Roanoke has officially named Saturday, Oct. 24, as Dr Pepper Day.
To honor the occasion, Dr Pepper Park is holding a celebration and a big giveaway of free gear from 9 a.m. to noon on Saturday.
This year, the event is a drive-thru event at the base of Mill Mountain in order to allow for social distancing.
Waynette Anderson/Dr Pepper Park Owner: “So, Dr Pepper Day is a day that Dr Pepper thanks the community for their support all of these years by letting everyone have a free T-shirt and also have a free sample of product,” said Waynette Anderson, the owner of Dr Pepper Park.
Dr Pepper, which was invented in 1885, was supposedly names after the owner of a drug store in Rural Retreat.
- Winter is coming, make sure you have a safety kit for your car
- Lynchburg Police investigate shooting at Super 8 Motel
- Teen nearly dies after getting syndrome tied to COVID-19
- It’s not December yet, but Elf on the Shelf 2020 is already very different
- Rockingham County deputy shot four times during traffic stop