ROANOKE, Va. (WFXR) — The Roanoke Regional Airport Commission is ready to cut the ribbon on Tuesday for the newly-constructed, 6,800 square foot Consolidated Rent-A-Car (CONRAC) facility.
According to the Roanoke-Blacksburg Regional Airport, the new CONRAC facility features an entrance road, which stems from the existing terminal loop road; a vestibule, walkway canopy connecting the terminal to the rental car lot; a large lobby with four rental car counters; large restrooms for both men and women; a newly reconfigured parking lot with four queueing lanes for returns; and approximately 190 parking spaces to store rental cars.
The airport says the construction of the project cost a total of $6,064,840, which was funded through customer facility charges (CFCs) assessed through car rentals.
In addition, construction on the new building reportedly began in April 2019 and wrapped up on Tuesday, Nov. 17.
“We are very excited to have the new car rental facility open to better serve our out of town visitors. The old set up had rental cars parked in the long term lot and was confusing for visitors,” said Timothy Bradshaw the airport’s Executive Director. “The new facility opens up more parking and space in the terminal and positions us well as we exit the current pandemic.”
A ribbon cutting is set to take place at 10 a.m. on Tuesday after the scheduled Airport Commission Meeting.
- Patrick Henry Community College receives new heavy-equipment simulators
- Holiday spending likely lower this season, according to Roanoke College Poll
- Roanoke County Police offers advice to prevent “Grinches” from stealing Christmas
- Roanoke City Public Schools, community partners give away 400 boxed meals for Thanksgiving
- Bedford County Sheriff, schools, local business team to provide needy families with pre-Thanksgiving dinners