ROANOKE, Va. (WFXR) — The second shooting on Interstate 581 since September 22 occurred Wednesday, Roanoke Police confirmed Friday afternoon.
The shooting occurred around 2 p.m. Wednesday along the southbound Interstate 581/Route 220 corridor after the victim’s vehicle attempted to merge onto I-581 southbound at Orange Avenue. The suspect was traveling south on I-581.
“Neither driver altered their speed to safely merge, which caused the victim’s vehicle to collide with
the guard rail,” Roanoke Police said in a statement. “Both vehicles continued Southbound. At some point, the driver of the suspect vehicle brandished a weapon and shot at the victim. A single bullet struck the victim’s vehicle.”
Jaylan Holland, 19, of Roanoke, was arrested at a Salem business after the shooting. He is charged with shooting into an occupied vehicle.
“”This is an excellent example of what we have said numerous times and will continue to say. If you choose to engage in violent behavior or criminal activity, we are going to do everything we can to ensure you are held accountable for your actions,” Roanoke Police Chief Sam Roman said in a statement. “This act of gun violence was inexcusable, and I am extremely thankful that no one was seriously injured during this incident. I will add that this was outstanding work by our Patrol Division and Violent Suppression Team. We are going to continue working with our community partners and specialized teams within the department to reduce violent crime in the City of Roanoke.”
- Hokies All Access : Pittsburgh recap, football bye week, turkey pardon, tailgating, Kenny Brooks profile, men’s basketball preview with Jon Laaser and Mike Burnop
- Virginia Tech women’s basketball head coach Kenny Brooks rewarded with contract extension
- 2021 ACC Men’s Basketball Tournament Moved to Greensboro
- Northside’s Mackenzie Walker signs with Radford
- North Cross School’s Asia Minnes Signs with University of Tennessee for Swimming