ROANOKE, Va. (WFXR) — Roanoke Public Libraries and Roanoke Parks and Recreation will bring a traveling Story Walk to Roanoke residents so families can enjoy reading and the outdoors at the same time.
Pages from a children’s picture book are inserted in metal frames attached to posts, which are installed along an outdoor path. As a family walks down the path, they are directed to the next page in the story.
The first book of Roanoke’s traveling Story Walk will be the bilingual Roanoke Baby book. This book features fun landmarks around the City of Roanoke for families to visit. The new bilingual Roanoke Baby book is part of the Star City Reads initiative, providing free books to Roanoke children and youth.
“The traveling Story Walk is an exciting way for families to enjoy our new bilingual Roanoke Baby book while keeping safe during the pandemic,” said Sheila Umberger, the Director of Roanoke Public Libraries.
In addition to library branches, Roanoke Parks and Recreation will bring the traveling Story Walk to City parks.
“Story Walks not only encourage healthy lifestyles, but they also connect families with nature, and encourage families to visit our great local park system.”Susan Herndon-Powell, Outdoor Recreation Supervisor for Roanoke Parks and Recreation
The Libraries are also partnering with the Roanoke City Public Schools to bring these Story Walks to elementary schools around the city.
Here is a list of the dates and locations for the Story Walk:
- Monday, March 8 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the Main Library
- Friday, March 12 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the Raleigh Court Branch Library
- Saturday, March 13 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Belmont Park
- Friday, March 19 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the Williamson Road Branch Library
- Saturday, March 20 from noon to 1 p.m. at Kennedy Park
- Friday, March 26 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the Melrose Branch Library
- Saturday, March 27 from noon to 1 p.m. at Preston Park
- Tuesday, March 30 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the Belmont Branch Library
For more information, contact the Roanoke Public Libraries at (540) 853-6412 or firstname.lastname@example.org.