SALEM, Va. (WFXR) — Roanoke College officials are preparing to welcome students back to campus for the spring 2021 semester on Feb. 8.
The start of the semester was postponed to Feb. 8 due to concerns about coronavirus spread after the holiday season, as well as campus network outages.
“We are encouraged by your successful work this past semester. Ending the semester safely was a big accomplishment for Roanoke College, and we thank you. We learned a lot and now have a formula for success that will help us achieve a successful, healthy semester this spring.”President Michael C. Maxey
To prepare for the start of the semester, Roanoke College IT staff have been working to rebuild the college’s network and the programs needed to conduct Roanoke College business and operate the campus. Students are asked to reset their passwords in order to get the latest information and updates about the return to campus. The textbook system is now available, and students can purchase textbooks through the online bookstore.
The college says all students will be required to take a COVID-19 test five days before returning to campus, as well as submit those results to the Student Health Center via the Student Health Portal. Once students are back on campus, all students will be re-tested about a week after arrival. During the semester, college officials will test students experiencing symptoms as needed as well as conduct random testing throughout the semester.
Those who are living on campus should have received an email from Res Life on Jan. 11 with links for move-in day scheduling. Students may choose Feb. 1, Feb. 3, Feb. 5, or Feb. 7. No one may move in on other dates.
Students who live off-campus or at home are also required to have a COVID-19 test with negative results taken five days prior to arrival on campus.
Roanoke College will be operating under COVID-19 guidelines. The following rules to the conduct code are in effect for the spring 2021 semester:
- Follow the face-covering policy and distancing requirements
- Complete the Daily Health Assessment each day you are on campus. This reports any possible COVID-19 symptoms to the Student Health Center for follow up.
- Adhere to quarantine or isolation guidelines as directed by Student Health Services if you are exposed or test positive for COVID-19. This includes students living off campus.
- For the health and safety of the campus community, students will only have cardkey access to their assigned residence hall to start the semester. However, residents may have one visitor in their room from the same building. The visitation policy will be reviewed and adjusted as conditions allow.
- Stay on campus as much as possible.
Orientation for Spring Start Students will take place on Saturday, Feb. 6, from 9 a.m. to noon.
Students will be required to attend a virtual “Welcome Back! Orientation” which starts on Saturday, Feb. 6 at 1 p.m. and continues through Sunday evening. This is a combination of workshops, activities and majors fairs.
Roanoke College plans to hold more outdoor student activities and events during the upcoming semester.
You can read the full Spring 2021 Arrival statement released by Roanoke College on Thursday, Jan. 21 by clicking here.