ROANOKE, Va. (WFXR) – Roanoke City Council has named the annual Citizen of the Year for 2020 and the community, as a whole, is being recognized.
Mayor Sherman Lea announced the community’s “resilient spirit” as being the Citizen of the Year during Monday night’s City Council meeting.
The mayor recognized the citizens of Roanoke for demonstrating this spirit throughout the COVID-19 pandemic.
Mayor Lea mentioned the courageous, strong and community-oriented spirit during the pandemic.
Lea also praised the tireless commitment to this City through active engagement as well as following the guidelines of Governor Ralph Northam’s and the CDC.
View a copy of the resolution below:
- Elizabeth Guzman suspends campaign for Lt. Governor
- Route 29 north shut down in Amherst County due to tractor-trailer crash
- U of Richmond board to resume talks on renaming buildings
- Snyder and Youngkin put millions into their campaigns but McAuliffe still maintains fundraising lead in Virginia governor’s race
- Southwest Virginia Wildlife Center receives first baby black bear