ROANOKE, Va. (WFXR) — Caped crusaders, cosplayers, and celebrities are preparing to celebrate as Big Lick Comic Con returns to the Star City this weekend!
From creative costumes and entertaining activities to a variety of vendors and special guest meet-and-greets, there’s so much to be found at the Berglund Center on Saturday, Aug. 6 and Sunday, Aug. 7.
WFXR News’ Amanda Kenney and Evan Johnson sat down with JD Sutphin — the founder of Big Lick Entertainment and the man behind Big Lick Comic Con — to discuss the celebrity guests, the new activities, and even the new collectible figure that will be unveiled at this weekend’s event
“It’s really like the Super Bowl of creativity, except you’re able to meet the actual players on the field,” said Sutphin. “You’re gonna be talking with the authors, the artists, the creators, the actors…It’s really something for everybody in a super kid-friendly atmosphere.”
In fact, organizers say they’re adding so many new features to the event that they’re expanding into the Berglund Coliseum to fit it all:
- Arcade and gaming experience
- New main stage, with programming throughout the event
- New kid zone featuring activities and crafts
- New food vendors, with more seating available
- Expanded exhibitor experience with vendors, artists, and guests
The convention runs from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturday and 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Sunday at the Berglund Center, according to the event website. However, there are also several special events taking place as part of Comic Con weekend:
- 90’s Party from 7 p.m. to midnight on Friday at Awful Arthur’s Downtown, featuring trivia, a DJ, karaoke, and a costume contest with prizes
- VIP breakfast with Mark Waid, a bestselling author who has developed characters and countless franchises in the comic book industry, at 8 a.m. at Clutch Restaurant
- “From the Crowd to a Comic”, a new and interactive comic-building experience, at 3:30 p.m. on Saturday on the Berglund Coliseum’s main stage
- Saturday Celebration with live music from The Low Low Chariot, karaoke, themed cocktails, cake, and more at 6 p.m. on Saturday at Courtyard by Mariott on Ordway Drive
- “Cocktails and Creators” from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. on Saturday at Brady’s Distillery, featuring a meet and greet with Ron Marz, who has been writing for countless comics over the course of three decades, and other special items
- Premier Cosplay and Costume Contest at 3 p.m. on Sunday on the Berglund Coliseum’s main stage
- Billy West, a voice actor known for his work on “Futurama” and “Ren & Stimpy,” will have photo opportunities
- Ming Chen, an actor, podcaster, reality TV personality, and webmaster, will have photo opportunities
- Walter Emanuel Jones, an actor, martial artist, and dancer known for playing the original Black Ranger on “Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers,” will have photo opportunities
- Karyn Parsons, who starred as Hilary Banks on “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air,” will have photo opportunities
- Nolan North, who is best known for voicing Desmond Miles in the Assassin’s Creed video game series, as well as Nathan Drake from the Uncharted series, will have photo opportunities
- Ferni Taylor, who portrayed the dancer Oola in “Star Wars Return of the Jedi” in 1983, as well as the 1997 Special Edition release, will have photo opportunities
You can check out a list of the other artists, actors, and wrestlers appearing at Big Lick Comic Con by clicking here.