UPDATE 4:35 p.m.: The Salem Police Department has identified a suspect in the shooting that occurred in the Lakeside Plaza parking lot Monday afternoon.
The suspect has been identified as Zane Chandler Christian, of Christiansburg. He has been charged by Salem Police with Malicious Wounding, Reckless Handling of a Firearm, and three counts of Child Neglect. A picture is attached below:
Blacksburg Police are also working with the Salem Police Department due to a connection between Christian and a carjacking that happened near the Virginia Tech campus Monday.
Anyone with information is asked to contact authorities.
SALEM, Va. (WFXR) — The Salem Police Department is investigating a shooting that occurred at the Lakeside Plaza shopping center in the 100 block of Electric Road Monday afternoon.
Police say dispatch received a call at 1:55 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 9, that a man has been shot in the Lakeside Plaza parking lot.
When officers arrived, they found the victim, who was transported to a hospital with life-threatening injuries.
This is an ongoing investigation.
WFXR will continue to update this story as more information becomes available.
- How to spot ‘shrinkflation’ at the grocery store (and save money)
- Scientists develop new strategy to fight coronaviruses, vaccinate against future pandemics
- Eating highly processed foods for a month can lead to memory loss
- 1 in 3 men would give up watching football to get rid of their belly fat
- Gabby Petito’s mother says she trusted Brian Laundrie to keep her daughter safe on trip
Get breaking news, weather, and sports delivered to your smartphone with the WFXR News app available on Apple and Android.