No injuries reported after firefighters respond to smoke at Lord Botetourt High

Roanoke Valley News

BOTETOURT COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) — Both students and staff members at Lord Botetourt High School are back in the building after a malfunctioning compressor in the school’s freezer triggered a fire alarm Monday morning.

At approximately 10:30 a.m. on Monday, Aug. 16, Botetourt County Public Schools says smoke from a freezer unit in the kitchen at Lord Botetourt High led to an evacuation of students and staff from the building.

The Troutville Volunteer Fire Department says crews responded for a possible structure fire, but learned that the freezer was malfunctioning, which resulted in the smoke in the school.

There are no reports of injuries resulting from this incident.

School officials say students and staff were cleared to go back in the building shortly after 11 a.m. Administrators have adjusted Monday’s schedule to accommodate students’ lunch periods, but parents are asked not to come to the school at this time.

This incident occurred less than two hours after William Byrd High School was evacuated due to the smell of smoke. However, the Roanoke County Fire and Rescue Department quickly cleared the building and allowed students and staff to resume their school day.

For breaking news delivered to you, subscribe to WFXR’s breaking news email list

Get breaking news, weather, and sports delivered to your smartphone with the WFXR News app available on Apple and Android.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest News

More News

News Tip Form