SALEM, Va. (WFXR) – VDOT has announced that a new roundabout will be opening to traffic starting Sunday, Sept. 26.
The roundabout is located at the intersection of Route 122 (Booker T. Washington Highway) and Route 636 (Hardy Road) in Franklin County.
VDOT says the roundabout is meant to improve safety in the area.
Drivers should be aware of the following tips when using a roundabout.
- Pay attention to signs and pavement markings.
- Yield to vehicles already in the circle as they approach from teh left and merge when it is safe to do so.
- Navigate the circle at a slow, steady pace and do not stop once inside of the roundabout.
- Use turn signals correctly as to not confuse other drivers.
- Be aware of the speed and position of nearby drivers.
Once the new roundabout is open, motorists should continue to expect periodic lane closures during daytime hours. Flaggers will be controlling traffic during temporary lane closures.
Additional paving and pavement marking along Route 122 and Route 636 will take place in the coming months.
Work is expected to be completed on the entire project in the spring of 2022.
For breaking news delivered to you, subscribe to WFXR’s breaking news email list
Get breaking news, weather, and sports delivered to your smartphone with the WFXR News app available on Apple and Android.