ROANOKE, Va. (WFXR) — A man was arrested for arson following a fire at an occupied home in northeast Roanoke on Wednesday afternoon.
According to Roanoke Fire-EMS, crews were dispatched to a fire in the 1500 block of Compton Street NE just after 4 p.m. on Wednesday, May 19.
When units arrived at the scene, the department says all of the home’s occupants already escaped safely and there were no visible smoke or flames.
Upon investigation, the Incident Commander reportedly found signs of scorch burns, as well as a smoldering towel underneath the burned area.
After speaking with the occupant, fire officials determined that someone placed the towel — which was covered in a flammable material — and set it on fire.
Even though there are no reports of injured or displaced residents as a result of the fire, the damage was estimated at approximately $3,000, according to Roanoke Fire-EMS.
The department says the cause of the fire — which appears to be an isolated incident — was deemed as incendiary.
According to fire officials, the City of Roanoke’s Fire Marshal’s Office and the Roanoke Police Department identified the suspect as 23-year-old Raheem Jackson of Roanoke.
Jackson was arrested on scene and was charged with arson of an occupied dwelling and trespassing after being forbidden to do so.