GLASGOW, Va. (WFXR) — Crews battled an apartment fire Sunday morning in Glasgow, which led to an evacuation of the complex.
According to the Glasgow Volunteer Fire Department, the fire was located at an apartment in the 800 block of Fitzlee Street on Sunday, Nov. 14.
The initial caller reportedly indicated that alarms were sounding while smoke was showing from the complex.
When crews arrived, they did not find anything visible on the outside of the structure, but did find occupants actively evacuating.
Crews then entered the structure and found smoke coming from a new wing of the building.
While working to evacuate the remaining residents, first responders found several locked apartments — including the apartment from which the smoke was coming.
Firefighters were able to force their way into that apartment and discovered both heavy smoke and an active fire in the kitchen.
Crews searched the apartment to knock down the fire, but they were forced out by the blaze. Eventually, first responders were able to fight the fire inside of the apartment and put it out. Crews then conducted ventilation efforts to minimize the smoke damage in other apartments.
The department says that a school bus was brought in so some of the residents could take shelter. In addition, a nearby church was contacted just in case the ventilation issues prolonged the incident.
There is no word what may have caused the fire and nobody was able to confirm whether anyone was found inside of the apartment where the fire originated. However, fire officials did say there was no loss of life in the fire.
For breaking news delivered to you, subscribe to WFXR’s breaking news email list
Get breaking news, weather, and sports delivered to your smartphone with the WFXR News app available on Apple and Android.