ROANOKE, Va. (WFXR) — First responders issued a reminder to community members about the importance of keeping a lid nearby while cooking following a southwest Roanoke house fire on Tuesday.

According to Roanoke Fire-EMS, crews were dispatched to reports of a structure fire in the 1500 block of Roanoke Avenue SW on Tuesday, Aug. 2.

When units arrived at the scene, they found a small fire in the kitchen, but they quickly extinguished it.

The department says the resident received non-life-threatening injuries amid the fire, which led to an estimated $4,500 in damages to to the home and its contents.

Fire officials tell WFXR News their investigation determined fire was an accidental grease fire.

“If a small grease fire starts in a pan, smother the flames by sliding the lid over the pan and turn off the burner,” Roanoke Fire-EMS said in a statement on Wednesday, Aug. 3. “Do not move the pan. To keep the fire from restarting, leave the lid on until the pan has cooled completely.”