FRANKLIN COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) – The Franklin County Sheriff’s Office is investigating stolen catalytic converters.
Authorities are asking residents to be aware of these incidents and to take proper precautions to alleviate the risk of becoming a victim.
The sheriff’s office also has tips on ways residents can protect their vehicle and its catalytic converter. Those tips include:
- Part in well-lit areas.
- Park close to building entrances or the nearest road in public parking lots. This leaves your vehicle in a location where many people can see it.
- If you have a personal garage, keep your vehicle parked inside with the door shut.
- Add video surveillance to the area where you regularly park your car.
- Install a catalyic converter-specific security device, or have it welded to the vehicle’s frame. You can also engrave your vehicle’s VIN number to the catalytic converter.
- Adjust the security system on your vehicle, if already installed, to activate from vibrations such as those produced by a saw.
They say that if you see something or have information about these thefts, you are asked to call the Franklin County Sheriff’s Office at 540-483-3000.
For breaking news delivered to you, subscribe to WFXR’s breaking news email list
Get breaking news, weather, and sports delivered to your smartphone with the WFXR News app available on Apple and Android.