ROCKY MOUNT, Va. (WFXR) — An electrical fire has left the Wright family of Rocky Mount in need of help after their roof partially collapsed on Friday, leaving the family of five without a place to stay.
The family says the main topic of discussion does not involve their wellbeing, but instead the wellbeing of their pets, like alligator Smiley who they owned for more than a decade.
The father, Shannon Wright, says his middle daughter helps him care for more than 100 animals on their farm.
When they arrived home from school on Friday, Feb. 26, Wright said, “They got off the bus and that’s what they seen — their house literally unfolding in front of them.”
Wright says he’s put blood, sweat, and tears into building his home over the past 12 years.
“I cut my finger off on that last year. That really hurts.”
Now, there is a gaping hole left in their roof, he explained while walking through his home.
“You see all the burn, but you see no burn on under the drywall here you see. So when it got wet it just collapsed.”
Wright says he’s not sure what to do next.
“We definitely need to figure out a new house. We don’t know how we’re going to do that. We didn’t have no insurance.”
His 12-year-old daughter Autum explained that people have been more focused on the wellbeing of their pets than her family and their home.
“When I’ve been to school Monday and Tuesday, I’ve had a bunch of people ask me about the gator.” I don’t think anybody has really asked me about how the family has been or the house.”
According to Autum, she’s still in shock.
Despite all the damage to their home, the family says that their grateful that everyone is safe.
If you’d like to help the Wright family, you can reach out to Chimneys Done Wright at firstname.lastname@example.org.