BOTETOURT COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) — Saturday marks the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks on the United States. In order to honor the thousands of lives lost that day, Botetourt County first responders are participating in multiple events, including the annual 9/11 Memorial Walk in Buchanan.
On Sept. 11, 2001, four planes were hijacked and used as weapons against America. Two of the planes slammed into the north and south towers of the World Trade Center in New York; the third plane hit the Pentagon in Virginia; and the fourth plane crashed in Pennsylvania.
Twenty years later, we still remember the lives and memories of the nearly three thousand people killed in the attacks and the more than 6,000 people who were injured.
Every year, across the country, communities come together and take a moment — or even 102 minutes — to honor those lives that were lost or that changes forever.
In Botetourt County — especially in Buchanan — there are a number of events taking place this weekend to honor 9/11 victims.
One of those events is the 9/11 Memorial Walk at Riverfront Park in Buchanan, which is meant to provide community members the opportunity to remember, reflect, and educate about that historic day.
According to a post shared by the Buchanan Volunteer Fire Department on Facebook, the opening remarks start at 7:30 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 11, and then the walk is scheduled from 8:46 a.m. to 10:28 a.m. There will also be music, raffles, and carnival fries until noon. You can even adopt a flag.
Other events taking place in Botetourt County this weekend are listed below:
- Beaver Dam Farm Sunflower Festival in Buchanan from Friday, Sept. 10 through Sunday, Sept. 19
- Free movie night featuring “World Trade Center” at 6 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 10 at Riverside Park in Buchanan
- Freedom Fest at New Freedom Farm in Buchanan on Saturday, Sept. 11; Sunday, Sept. 12; Saturday, Sept. 18; Sunday, Sept. 19; Saturday, Sept. 25; and Sunday, Sept. 26
- Botetourt Farmers Market from 8:30 a.m. to noon on Saturday, Sept. 11 at the Daleville Town Center
- Buchanan Farmers/Community Market from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 11
- Muddy Squirrel “Tri” in Buchanan at 2 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 11
For breaking news delivered to you, subscribe to WFXR’s breaking news email list
Get breaking news, weather, and sports delivered to your smartphone with the WFXR News app available on Apple and Android.